Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Writers pick their favourites

What do you get when 125 of today's writers are asked to nominate their best books of all time? The answer is, something like the unwieldy 544-title list included in The Top Ten: Writers Pick Their Favorite Books, on sale now. If you buy the book, you get a more detailed breakdown of who chose what, as well as some advocacy from some writers for their picks. But in the absence of an actual copy, some observations about the list itself:

  • Overwhelmingly American, which is only to be expected since the writers list is, too. From a European point of view, most of the Big Names are included, but aren't they being slightly over-represented? Some of these titles are minor works. Who would put them in their all-time favourites list? Is this suspicion a reflection of my ignorance of the field of American writing? Or are American writers being either chauvinistic or provincial? Only someone more familiar with AmLit can say.
  • Of the foreign writers listed, the French seem to me to prevail over all other combined. With only one or two exceptions, this involves classic authors: Proust, Zola, Balzac and Flaubert. I was again surprised to see dodgy listings in Flaubert's case (A Simple Heart?) and the inclusion of The Three Musketeers (I cannot imagine anyone who managed to finish this book also enjoying it). The first of those anomalies is explained by the presence on the panel of Julian Barnes. The second has no explanation: perhaps the writer who voted has had his memory affected by seeing one of the several film versions, let's hope the one with Olly Reed.
  • So does nobody read modern literature in translation at all? There's one nod to Nobel winner Orhan Pamuk. The most recent French novel I can see is one of the Marguerites, Duras or Yourcenar. Borges and Garcia Marquez get a mention, neither of them terribly recent.
  • A certain amount of log-rolling. This always comes up when writers nominate their favourites, and gives great pleasure every year when Private Eye magazine reveals the back-scratching that's been going on in the year-end choices. Most unscientifically, I have controlled for the fact that these are prominent contemporary writers, and must therefore be held in some regard. But really, how else do you explain the presence of two titles by John Banville, who also happens to be on the panel? Who was trying to suck up to Chuck Palahniuk, author of the execrable Fight Club? And while Margaret Atwood's Handmaid's Tale can justifiably be described as a major novel, who in their right mind would vote for Oryx and Crake, which was just rubbish?
  • There's probably a bit of national favouritism too. I was amazed to see two titles by Alisdair Gray: 1982, Janine, a very slight romance; and Lanark, an trilogy whose influence was greater than its sales, in that dead-end that was English provincial magical realism, when everyone decided they were going to do a Midnight's Children for whatever their own personal backwater was. I was also taken aback to see the far more deserving Sunset Song, by Lewis Grassic Gibbon. There are to my knowledge two Scottish authors on the panel: Ian Rankin of the Rebus mysteries, and AL Kennedy. Mystery solved. Likewise, I'd imagine most of the French excesses are Julian Barnes' fault.
  • I'm not sure I'm in favour of the wholesale ignoring of boundaries in this list. Novels are intertwined with poems like The Divine Comedy and Don Juan, which in turn are mixing with plays by Pinter and Shakespeare, which rub shoulders with short stories by Alice Munro, Raymond Carver and Anton Chekhov. Anthony Powell has his entire Dance to the Music of Time cycle represented in one entry, while Anthony Trollope has to make do with The Last Chronicle of Barset representing his first great cycle, and Phineas Finn the second. It simply makes no sense to separate one of the parts out from the whole.
  • Pedantic it may be, but I would urge compilers of such lists to do a better job of proof-reading. And while typos are one thing, there's simply no excuse for getting Guy de Maupassant's name wrong. Henri was his proper first name as far as the parish register is concerned, but there's not a soul in the world who knows him by that name.
You can also post your own Top Ten, if you like, and read what others have suggested. There's no clear consensus, with Anna Karenina and War and Peace topping the charts, but not by many votes. There are also a lot of titles mentioned that the professionals didn't vote for. All of this is a Good Thing. There's no need for too much uniformity.

My own list would be a lot less adventurous, and far more provincial: one continent represented, with one exception. Two works only from the 20th century, six from the 19th, one from the 17th and one from the 16th. Pathetic.

I should say that I abhor such lists, because literature is not a beauty contest. You'll point out, quite rightly, that nor is beauty. And here's the list I drew up:

Labyrinths
Middlemarch
Great Expectations
The Barchester Chronicles
The Diary of Samuel Pepys
The Short Stories of Anton Chekhov
Thérèse Raquin
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Pride and Prejudice
The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini

Try it yourself. A most infuriating exercise.

6 comments:

Sal said...

Hey now, my soon-to-be twenty-two-year-old adores Palahniuk.

Again with this list. Same as with Garfunkel's. Books I know. Books I don't. Books I don't know because I'm a Philistine. (Is that PC? to call one's self a Philistine in such a pejorative way? What would those of Philistine descent think?)

I'd never heard, f'rex, of Elias Canetti's AUTO-DA-FÉ and hadn't heard of Canetti either. He won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1981, for pete's sake. Shouldn't I at least have heard of him?

I like lists.

I'd have to have a long think, though, if someone asked me for my Top Ten of all time.

Sal said...

OK, after a not very long think:

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT
= Erich Maria Remarque
REBECCA = Daphne DuMaurier
THE BIG SLEEP and/or THE LONG GOODBYE = Raymond Chandler
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD = Harper Lee
SCARAMOUCHE = Rafael Sabatini
CATCH-22 = Joseph Heller
DARKNESS VISIBLE = William Styron
SIDDHARTHA = Hermann Hesse
THE BRIDGE OF SAN LUIS REY = Thornton Wilder
ETHAN FROME = Edith Wharton

... and then I had to stop because I ran out of slots. But what about PRIDE AND PREJUDICE or COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO? JANE EYRE? WUTHERING HEIGHTS? THE PRINCESS AND THE GOBLIN? BLACK BEAUTY? (the first "real" book I ever read, so dear to my heart.) some Wodehouse, some Ngaio Marsh, some Josephine Tey (DAUGHTER OF TIME would make the list.)

I can't remember all I've read, and of those, I can't always remember the book except "I liked it" or "I didn't."

My two-years-older brother could give you the plot line of a book he'd read at age ten. I could tell you that I remembered liking the book and could reread it happily because I didn't remember the twists and turns or even how it ended.

There's so much I haven't read yet.

Interesting exercise, though and my list seems very pop compared to what others chose. No real thinker books there.

Anonymous said...

I put my list up at Sal's with the disclaimers that it's only adult novels and I reserve the right to change my mind at any time.

1. The Sound and The Fury
2. The Great Gatsby
3. Great Expectations
4. Rebecca
5. Pride and Prejudice
6. Jane Eyre
7. Wuthering Heights
8. The Scarlet Letter
9. Beloved
10. To Kill a Mockingbird

If there were an eleven: All Quiet on the Western Front

If non-fiction was mixed in: Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass

Also it's against my policy to read more than one blog per blogger, but your other blog doesn't work anymore ever since I accidentally let Windows install IE7, so I was happy to find this link at Sal's.

Sour Grapes said...

"Also it's against my policy to read more than one blog per blogger".

Then I advise you to stay here, because Sour Grapes is nothing but vulgar music, comedy, videos, satire, cartoons, humour and suchlike manufactured "excitement". Far better to stay here where everything is calm and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Anonymous said...

Ah hell... off the top of my head, and unfortunately *very* Amero-centric:

1. The Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck
2. For Whom the Bell Tolls - Hemingway
3. The Sound and the Fury - Faulkner
4. White Noise - DeLillo
5. The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love - Hijuelos
6. All Quiet on the Western Front - Remarque
7. American Pastoral - Roth
8. Great Expectations - Dickens
9. Breakfast at Tiffany's - Capote
10. The Old Man and the Sea - Hemingway

So, you ask me, where are Middlemarch, 100 Years of Solitude, Midnight's Children, Vanity Fair, or Rebecca?

Well I ain't fucking read them yet. So there.

Sour Grapes said...

Then get to it, my lad.

What is it with Americans and Remarque? He shows up in almost every list. Is it taught in schools?