Sunday, January 14, 2007

Art for Art's Sake

Here is a list of all the books Art Garfunkel has read since 1968. Yes, that Art Garfunkel, of Simon and Garfunkel, and Bad Timing, and Bright Eyes. There are 967 of them, bringing us up to January 2006 or an average of 26 books a year, or one every two weeks. That's not a particularly voracious schedule, despite what the website says. Let's face it: in his years with Paul Simon he never really had much to do, did he? Get up and sing, erm, that's it.

He also provides a list of 135 favourites here, which seems like rather a lot. The list includes some I'd agree with wholeheartedly: The Sorrows of Young Werther, Pride and Prejudice, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Vanity Fair, Middlemarch, Bleak House, The Red and the Black, Tales from Shakespeare, Perfume and Post Office. His list is clearly not only longer than mine would be, but visibly broader and perhaps even deeper.

It's a very presentable list, but is it too contrived? Did he really read all of those books? We'll never know, and that's in the nature of such lists. You have to at least admire his industry and dedication in keeping the list going, or making it look as if he had. In the end, it doesn't matter. It's an entertaining browse in itself. One or two things on there that might be worth looking up, had we but world enough, and time.

So, gentle reader: what would be on your list of 135 favourite reads of the last 37.5 years?

4 comments:

Paula said...

TULOB. Like Water For Chocolate. Jane Eyre. Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time. Norwegian Wood. High Infidelity. Surfacing. Cat's Eye. The Rice Mother. McNally mysteries.

Reminds me of Jervis!

Andy Phillips said...

How about books you're ashamed of having read (you have to have finished them)?
My list would include:
Executioner: Pierrepoint
Final Truth (the autobiography of a serial killer, forget his name)
The Story of O
All the Harry Potters (excused or compounded by the fact that I read them aloud to my daughter?)
A Book about the OJ Simpson Trial
Too Many Books About World War Two

Sal said...

I am just so impressed that Joyce's ULYSSES made it to his list of favorite books.

I'm disappointed that COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO didn't make the cut.

For a "voracious reader" he didn't read much some years. Check out 1975, f'rex. Maybe THE POWER BROKER just done wore him out.

I love lists like this. Reminds me of the books my brother left me: all sorts of familiar titles and then ... I've never heard of that book, let alone the author, before. ...

Kenneth A. Lockridge # A New England Town, the First One Hundred Years

I think he's missing a bet. He should've made the titles be hotlinks to his Amazon associate account.

(Whoever did the coding messed up on their "next library page" link at the bottom of the pages.)

Anonymous said...

Interesting how this relates to the post above, because the novels I'd label "great" and the novels I'd label "favorite" are not necessarily the same list. I cannot live without my Tolkien but I'd not put it on the list of top ten "best" novels of all time. OTOH I both love and admire Beloved and most all of Faulkner's novels (that one with "My mother is a fish" excepted), but I don't go re-reading them every couple of years the way I do with, say, Rebecca.

I tend to think of "favorite" as "books I read over and over again." In my case there are lots of children's books (I do write them, after all, or try to). James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Narnia, Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising series, Anne of Green Gables, and yes, Harry Potter.

And then mostly fun stuff: Rebecca, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Lord of the Rings, and Stephen King's The Stand and It.

Some overlap with my "great" list but not much.